Friday 14 September 2012

Respect yourself



Environmentalism can only work if there is respect.  
Respect for nature, and all of Creation.




During a walk one late morning, I passed through a back 
street and came upon a pile of garbage consisting of left 
over food and disposable plates and glasses etc. I asked 
around and learnt that the garbage was dumped there by 
the staff of a school from across the street.  So I marched 
up to the school gate and asked for the person in charge 
of the office. Unfortunately it was a Sunday and gave 
the bewildered watchman a piece of my mind.

I saw some gentlemen, and mistaking them to be from 
the school gave them a piece of my mind too. I was soon 
embarrassed to learn that they were in-fact from a social
organisation looking to clean up the environment. The 
folks enthusiastically invited me to join their cause and 
attend at the school itself the launch of their environment 
drive the following Tuesday. I readily agreed.

My wife and I walked to the meeting on Tuesday. My 
heart sank when I observed that non biodegradable 
plastic disposable materials were used in abundance. 
The food was stored and served in disposable plastic as 
were the numerous banners, commemoration plaques etc.  

All this  amazing quantity of non recyclable  materials 
which would surely be dumped into the environment the 
next morning.

Our children and our followers never listen to what we 
say, but rather to what we do.  I tried to politely point 
out to my well intending hosts that I felt they were 
wasting their time and those of others.

My uninvited suggestions to the organizers were 
acknowledged by them with all the right noises, but 
their expressions betrayed the opinion that they thought 
I must be crazy to expect real change.

Everyone asks for suggestions and criticism but people 
really only want praise.

It is fashionable to go with the crowds, pretending to do 
what everyone else seems to be saying or doing. People 
should say only what they mean, and do what they say.


I am an optimist and believe we can protect our 
environment which nourishes us, if we do so with 
integrity and respect. Come. let us join together and be 
true environmentalists. 

If you wish to be respected by yourself and others 
then please respect your environment.


12 comments:

  1. Vasant Khisty said;

    Sat sri Akal sir
    Thanks for the nice blog.

    vasant
    vasantkhisty@gmail.com
    (responded by email)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zabeen Jariwala said;

    Thank you Gurvinderji
    That was good reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. KK said;

    Good show Gurvinder !
    Admire your spirit...

    Iyer Krishnakumar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Zabeen ji,

    Your feedback is great encouragement for me.

    May God bless you.
    GS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear KK,

    Feedback from you is great source of encouragement for me.

    God bless you.
    Gurvinder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trilok Singh Anand said,

    Dear Reiny Ji,
    S.S.Akal
    This is one of your best areticles which I have gone thru with my full interest. We were always giving you respect for your good ideas but perhaps this your respect for nature and all creation has forced me to give more respect to you. Really you are GEM. Respect to others is respect to yourself is your good idea which I also agree.
    Regards Anand TS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anita Kalsi said;


    Thanks for sharing.
    Very soon yu will see our project ' No Kooda.com" , pls read kooda in hindi ( means garbage) and ORM Green Ventures ( Organic Rejects Management.)
    rgds
    Anita
    anitakalsi.csr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anita ji,

    Wish you good luck and look forwardingto learn more about your activities and those of ORM green Ventures.
    Please advise me on how I can be of any assistance, collaboration or support

    Best regards
    Gurvinder Singh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Trilok Veerji,

    Sat Sri Akal.

    As usual you are too lavish with your love and appreciation.
    I always eagerly await your mails and feedback.

    Love and regards
    Rainy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brig. Gurinder Cheema said;

    Sarve Bhavantu sukhina,
    Sarve santu niramaya,
    sarve bhadrani pashyantu,
    maa kaschit dukh bhag bhavetah

    It is similar to 'Nanak naam charhdi kala, tere bhane sarbat da bhala'.
    The meaning of the chant is :
    May all possess happiness.
    May all be healthy (free from all diseases).
    May all see beauty.
    May there be good fortune and no misery anywhere.

    In nutshell, you get what you wish for others.

    God bless

    gpscheema@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Gurinder ji,

    The sages are right as usual as you point out
    What goes around comes around.
    Lovely Shloka which I have memorised to chant often and daily

    WahGuru Rakha

    Gurvinder

    ReplyDelete